Saturday 17 May 2008

A Grey Day

Today started off well despite the weather with a trip out to Ashwellthorpe and the purchase of a shed from Taylors Building Supplies, fantastic range, good prices and friendly people as well. It made me realise just how good craftspeople stand out from the rest.

Then I went to Highways nursery where we decided it was lunchtime and had a coffee and a beef and mushroom homecooked pie which was excellent but expensive, after demolishingthe grub I bought trellis for across the garden - after we had worked out how to fix it at each end and where the posts were going to go. Which led to lots of funny loks from other gardeners who were wandering around with a pansy or two or debating where to put their new gnome. Delivery only£5 - very impressed.

Rushed home to meet my carpenter friend who is going to build me a pergola at the seating end of the garden, sudden embarassment as I showed him the fence - realised that the guy who did it (Green Lane Timber Services) truly ripped me off and did a diabolical job of the back fence and gate. Not to mention the fact that he as yet hasn't bothered to send me a receipt, he had to repair the back fence once and the timeber post supporting the back fence is starting to split. I shall be on the phone yet again and it he doesn't get back to me then I'll be sending trading standards out after him. Just so frustrating after I went on a recommendation and saw his work elsewhere which looked grand, I think to do a straight line of panels he is fine - to do anything remotely resembling joinery hes not so sharp.

Them dashed out to Tescos (not much gardening going on here I know) - on our return we found that the seedlings seem to have taken a chill and a couple of the courgettes have just died, with a gourd gone as well we may need to plant some more. The sunflowers haven't germinated yet so we're going to try starting them in smaller tubs.

No comments: