Sunday 11 May 2008

Companion Planting

Well I never - plants have special friends! Was at mums yesterday and brushed past the lovage and decided to get some in the garden but didn't know that its thought to improve the health of almost all plants and that borage helps protect almost all plants from pests especially tomatoes! Off out to get some seeds today now, alhough apparently borage won't be happy growing on from pots. I knew that carrots and onions should be grown together.

Talking of pests I collected about 30 rosemary beetles from my french lavender and my once beautiful rosemary this morning, the little pests are shiny and new to this area so there aren't any natural predators. Other than me who puts them in a pot and sends them to the UEA for a man to study. More information can be found here. And watch out for the grubs they look like slugs. The damn things have even made it onto the BBC News!

No comments: