Tuesday 6 January 2009

Last of the cake

Well the Christmas cake is finished! It doesn't seem to last long but it is lovely to have a slice for afternoon tea or as an evening snack. This year I used the apple and ginger jam that we made in October to stick the marzipan to the cake and I think it added an extra bit of spice. Mum has such a glut of apples every year that I bought my sister (who is very seriously into wholesome food) a book called "The apple source book" which has lots of fab apple recipes and storage ideas.

I bought the first packet of seeds today - Broad Beans - which I am going to plant out just as soon as this cold snap lifts a bit and I can dig a bean trench. I'm going to keep a close eye on how much I spend on seeds this year and work out how much money we save. I stopped at two garden centres on the way home and found some greenhouse material options for construction at the weekend - just going to raid the salvage yard first.

1 comment:

becslb said...

Hi, thanks for the reply! UG = under-gardener!! They are getting pretty excited about planting seeds again!