Thursday 1 January 2009

First day of the new year

and I spent it in the garden, absolute bliss, after waking up with a mini headache I started to clear away the sunflowers from last year which I had left out for the birds. I dug, I weeded, I planned my planting and I repaired my net fence which had suffered badly from cats and uncoordinated boyfriend. This year I'm planning to replace the hastily erected net fence with some timber and wire panels, light enough to lift but robust enough to keep out the cats. I left plenty of sheeting over my well dug soil, but I bet that won't keep those damn cats out.

I came across the concept of square foot gardening today on another blog "A Kitchen Garden in the Suburbs" - sounded brilliant and I think I'll adapt it slightly for my plot. Worked out my plot is 12m squared so a nice size, will probably try and plant in metre plots rather than rows this year. Also found a use for the huge concrete slab which we dug out of the garden, I'm going to build a simple cold frame onto it - insulated of course - but that will allow the first plants needing protection to grow while I take my time finding materials for the greenhouse. I'm trying to decide whether I use polycarbonate double wall stuff, or glass, or corrugated plastic for the hinged roof - much to think about. I might go off to the salvage yard and see what I can find for inspiration.

Planted the rest of the daffodil bulbs today, a few had started to sprout so I don't know how well they will take given that its been a month since I put the first batch in. There was a note on the back of the snowdrops packet saying that they can take a full year to establish so be patient, that would explain why none of the ones I planted at the front came up last year.

Happy New Year!

No comments: