Sunday 11 April 2010

Sunday Mending

Today dawned reasonably bright and sunny and therefore had to spend some time in the garden. Its the law. The perspex I bought to mend the greenhouse was very expensive but necessary and its been lying on my living room floor for the last two weeks, it wsa cut up and screwed carefully to the southern end of the greenhouse. If we were here longer I would be very tempted to replace all the polythene with perspex - 'he' pointed out if I'd done this to begin with it would have been cheaper to buy one rather than build one.

Then having dug over the last of the vegetable patch and put up the new extra tall beanpoles in a wigwam shape ready for the runner beans, I turned my attention to the sweetpeas. With poor germination rates I chose to soak the peas overnight in warm water before planting out in deep biodegradeable tubes, I have planted some straight outside into the willow pot which will allow them to grow up along the dead branches and worked quite well last year.

I also placed the sweetpeas inside propagators inside the greenhouse which should guarentee the temperatures needed for good germination. I have planted a mixed heirloom variety this year which should grow between 6 and 10 foot high, perfect for the trellis to break up the appreciation garden from the production garden.

I swept out the greenhouse and arranged the empty pots ready for planting. I have also fixed the electronic thermometer so we can start to get a direct reading each day, watch this space!

No comments: