Thursday 15 April 2010

Damn Grape Hyacinth (muscari)

Overnight Low: 6.1C Daytime High: 25.8C

Spent all day 'weeding' the front of small tiny irritating weeds and grass which invade the concrete and gravel. The house is being painted next week and I want to try and get the whole outside tidied up and looking pretty ready for the new arrival. I had to wear my ultra excellent straw gardeners hat becuase it got so hot in the sun. I am delighted by the fact that for the first time since planting the Rosemary out the front has flowered - i will post pictures soon.

The afternoon saw me return to the back and sweep the concrete by the veg patch, and the patio outside the shed as well as digging out the grass and weeds from the path. Then I turned my attention to the annoying grape hyacinths which manage to come up through the weed matting we put down under the gravel. They are a real pest, because the leaves bruise so easily they look ragged and untidy against the gravel and are right in the way of the pergola space. Other than dig the bulbs up (which I do) is there any way to get rid of them?

No germination as yet in the greenhouse - there is a frost predicted for Monday evening, I will have to wrap all the plants up carefully although hopefully the green house will protect them a little. I am more concerned about the new herbs I put out and the passion flower which I removed the fleece from yesterday.

Lunch outdoors again today though - 4 days in a row!

No comments: