Sunday 9 May 2010

A (Not So) Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Yesterday the weather was horrid, in fact it hasn't been so great for the past week or so, very cold which has set back the growing of vegetables and makes me doubly grateful to the greenhouse for protecting my little seedings.

Today the weather was slighty warmer and most importantly it wasn't raining. I decided that the potatos had to go in and so three tubs of four potatos are now happily getting started outside under the pergola where they are sheltered from the worse of the cold. The compost had been out all winter and was very wet so I left it in the sunshine and will abstain from watering until I am happier that the potatos have started to grow and haven't rotted.

I also planted out 20 or so peas which germinated indoors on the damp paper, it amazed me how many turned mouldy or simply didn't do anything. Goes some way to explain why my pea growing efforts in the garden have been so poor.

I then set about (with assistance) to empty all the pots which had last years dead plants in and get them ready for planting up my flowers which i have grown from seeds. This was a fairly nice job which i could do from the deckchair and I got 4 of the Irish Eyes sunflowers planted up. I hadn't hardened them off so I will see how they do, hopefully there won't be a frost for a few nights. I also sowed some Chinese Forget-Me-Nots in the rose tub (which has aphids again), and added tall cornfowers and quaking grass to the pot which had grasses in last year.

I weeded the herb bed and all of the pots, the mints are slowly coming back to life - the apple mint is very slow but terribly pretty.  I rescued a rose seedling from the gravel at the back of the garden, it couldn't stay where it was and so i thought i would try putting it in a pot and seeing how it gets on, together with the dogroses from the school last week I have three varieties in my garden. Only the nursery grown rose has aphids!

I decided to come in and sort out dinner (slow cooked beef and mustard cassrole) and by the time that was done it had started to rain.

Again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

S l o w is about it! (is everyones gardens like this? I'm starting to get worried that nothings going to get growing)